Lymphocyte Subset Quantitation
CD4/CD8 test, T-helper subsets, Helper/suppressor ratio, Immunodeficiency profile, Lymphocyte Subset, Flow Cytometry, Lymphocyte Subset, EPIC: LAB6416, SOFT: LYSBG
- Specimens should only be drawn Monday - Friday. The specimen should not be drawn on weekends or holidays. On the day before a holiday, specimens must be received in the Flow Cytometry Laboratory BEFORE 12:00 p.m. on the day before the holiday for testing to be performed.
- A Complete Blood Count (CBC) and Differential (CBCD) is required to perform Lymphocyte Subset testing.
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collect: One Lavender-top EDTA tube for Lymphocyte Subset Quantitation AND one Lavender-top EDTA tube for Complete Blood Count with Differential. (Minimum: 2.0 mL each tube.)
- The second Lavender-top EDTA tube at room temperature is not required for Lymphocyte Subset Quantitation if:
- CBCD is ordered for purpose not related to this test and drawn at the same time.
- CBCD is performed in the Outreach Client's office and results are faxed to the Flow Cytometry Laboratory (248-551-1262) and received at the time of testing.
- If a separate specimen is NOT submitted for the Complete Blood Count with Differential, a CBCD will be ordered.
- A copy of the requisition must be sent with the specimen.
FedEx Shipping Instructions
Transport two 4 mL whole blood tubes (minimum: 2 mL each tube) at room temperature. Specimens must be received within 24 hours of collection. No weekend or holiday draws.
Read our complete shipping instructions.
Physician Office/Drawsite Specimen Preparation
Maintain whole blood at room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F) prior to transport. Specimens must be received in the Laboratory within 24 hours of collection.
Preparation for Courier Transport
Transport: Whole blood, at room temperature (20-25°C or 68-77°F).
- Clotted specimens.
- Refrigerated specimens, accepted with approval of the Flow Cytometry supervisor or lab director.
- Specimens received greater than 24 hours post collection.
Specimen Stability for Testing:
Room Temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F): 24 hours
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): Acceptable with approval of the Flow Cytometry supervisor or lab director.
Frozen (-20°C/-4°F or below): Unacceptable
Specimen Storage in Department Prior to Disposal:
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): 7 days
Royal Oak Flow Cytometry Laboratory.
Monday - Friday, Saturday until 12:00 p.m.
Results available in 1-2 days.
Lymphocyte Subset Quantitation Reference Range
|Less than 3 years
Immunophenotyping by Multiparameter Flow Cytometry.
This assay includes: absolute lymphocyte count, CD3 total T-cells, CD4 T-helper cells, CD8 T-suppressor cells, CD56 natural killer cells, CD19 B-cells, and CD4:CD8 ratio.
The Lymphocyte Subset Quantitation test may be used to assess patients with HIV infection or possible immunodeficiency.
86355, 86357, 86359, 86360, 88184.
EPIC: LAB6416, SOFT: LYSBG
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.
This directory currently reflects information only for specimens collected and/or processed at the Farmington Hills,
Grosse Pointe, Royal Oak, and Troy campuses.