Lab results are too important to go anywhere else
Specimen Collection Manual: Eye (Conjunctiva)
- ESwab Collection System.
- UTM or UVT transport medium.
Specimen Collection Criteria
- Moisten a flocked swab with sterile non-bacteriologic saline.
- Gently pull the lower eyelid downward and carefully swab the lower conjunctiva to collect both cells and fluids. The upper eyelid may be swabbed in the same manner.
- If both eyes are to be cultured, a separate sterile swab should be used for the other eye.
- Do not use expired media. Check expiration date on all media prior to use.
- Place each swab into the appropriate transport medium and send to the Laboratory.
||Stability Time Frame
|Viral Culture (UVT, UTM)
||Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F)
||24 Hours (if greater than 24 hours, freeze at -70°C
|Bacterial Culture (ESwab)
||Room Temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F)
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.
This directory currently reflects information only for specimens collected and/or processed at the Farmington Hills,
Grosse Pointe, Royal Oak, and Troy campuses.