Sézary Cell Panel by Flow Cytometry
EPIC: LAB5000, SOFT: FSZYG
A Complete Blood Count (CBC) and Differential (CBCD) is required for Sézary cell enumeration, upon detection of a Sézary cell population.
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collect: One Lavender-top EDTA tube for Sézary Cell Panel AND one Lavender-top EDTA tube for Complete Blood Count with Differential. (Minimum: 2.0 mL each tube.)
- The second Lavender-top EDTA tube at room temperature is not required for Sézary Cell Panel if:
- CBCD is ordered for purpose not related to this test and drawn at the same time.
- CBCD is performed in the Outreach Client's office and results are faxed to the Flow Cytometry Laboratory (248-551-1262) and received at the time of testing.
- If a positive Sezary population is detected and a separate specimen is NOT submitted for the Complete Blood Count with Differential, a CBCD will be ordered.
- A copy of the requisition must be sent with the specimen.
Physician Office/Drawsite Specimen Preparation
Maintain whole blood at room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F) prior to transport. Specimens must be received in the Laboratory within 48 hours of collection.
Preparation for Courier Transport
Transport: Whole blood, at room temperature (20-25°C or 68-77°F).
- Clotted tubes are acceptable with the approval of the Flow Cytometry Laboratory supervisor or pathologist on service. Clotted CBC and Differential specimens cannot be run.
Specimen Stability for Testing:
Room Temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F): 48 hours
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): Only acceptable with the approval of the Flow Cytometry Laboratory supervisor or pathologist on service.
Frozen (-20°C/-4°F or below): Unacceptable
Specimen Storage in Department Prior to Disposal:
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): 7 days
Royal Oak Flow Cytometry Laboratory.
Monday - Saturday.
Results available in 1-2 days.
Pathologist's interpretation will state normal or abnormal antigenic expression.
Immunophenotyping by Multiparameter 10 Color Flow Cytometry.
Sézary cells are identified by flow cytometry based on presence of aberrant T-cell antigen expression, alteration of CD4:CD8 ratio, and restricted T-cell receptor V-beta usage.
If immunophenotypically abnormal T-cells were detected, T-cell receptor V-beta usage may be added to further evaluate the clonality.
Sezary Cell panel can be used to confirm or rule out if there is a Sézary cell syndrome in patients with mycosis fungoides. Presence of Sézary cell syndrome is associated with poor prognosis. The same panel may be used to evaluate T-cell lymphoproliferative disorder.
T-cell lymphoma, mycosis fungoides.
88184 x 1, 88185 x 13; Interpretation 88188 - 9-15 markers.
EPIC: LAB5000, SOFT: FSZYG
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.
This directory currently reflects information only for specimens collected and/or processed at the Farmington Hills,
Grosse Pointe, Royal Oak, and Troy campuses.