Sputum, Saccomanno Fixed - Royal Oak
Sputum for cytology, Deep cough sputum, Cytology, Non-Gyn Respiratory Specimen, CYTOLOGY, MEDICAL (NON-GYN/FNA), EPIC: LAB6797, SOFT: CYT
- Sputum specimens are often ordered x 3. Each sputum must be collected on three separate mornings. Each sputum must have a different collection date and must be registered as three separate visits (when the patient is an outpatient).
- Sputum for Cytology kits can be picked up from the Cytology Laboratory (1 North Tower, lower level, west wing), Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., or can be picked up from the Surgical Pathology Laboratory located near the East Tower elevators when the Cytology Laboratory is closed. Sputum for Cytology kits include 3 Green-top or Lavender-top 50 mL tubes with Saccomanno fixative, 3 Cytology requisitions and instructions on how to collect a sputum sample. CHECK THE EXPIRATION DATE ON THE KIT PRIOR TO COLLECTING THE SPUTUM.
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collect: Sputum sample in a collection tube provided in the Sputum for Cytology collection kit.
- Collect sputum specimen in the morning. Patient must rinse mouth out with plain water and discard the rinse water.
- Patient should cough deeply and deposit only those secretions raised from the chest into the sputum collection tube.
- Secure the lid tightly and shake the specimen vigorously to evenly distribute the Saccomanno fluid.
- Label each specimen container with the patient's full name, date of birth, hospital number, source of specimen, and date of test.
- In house cytology specimens should be ordered in EPIC order entry. In the “additional orders” field input “CYTOLOGY, MEDICAL (NON-GYN/FNA)” and fill in all appropriate fields. IMPORTANT: ORDER AND SIGN EACH CYTOLOGY TEST INDIVIDUALLY. THE LABORATORY INFORMATION SYSTEM CANNOT FILE MULTIPLE TESTS ORDERED IN THE SAME SESSION AND SOME ORDERS MAY BE LOST. Label specimen container and requisition with SOFT ID labels.
- All Cytology specimens must be accompanied by a requisition and must include the patient name, hospital and visit number, date of birth, date of specimen collection, pertinent patient history, physician name and source of specimen.
Physician Office/Drawsite Specimen Preparation
Maintain fixed specimens at room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F) prior to transport.
Preparation for Courier Transport
Transport: Fixed sputum specimen at room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F).
- Improper labeling of specimen container or requisition.
- Specimen not accompanied by requisition.
- Requisitions not accompanied by a specimen.
- Improper collection of specimen (unfixed sputum specimens are not acceptable for cytologic evaluation and will be returned as an improperly submitted specimen and must be recollected).
- Specimens that leak outside of specimen container into transport bags.
- Any specimen received without all of the required information will result in a delay of processing until all information can be verified.
Specimen Stability for Testing:
Room Temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F): 7 days
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): 7 days
Frozen (-20°C/-4°F or below): Unacceptable
Specimen Storage in Department Prior to Disposal:
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): 7 days
Royal Oak Cytology Laboratory
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Results available within 24-36 hours of receipt in the Cytology Laboratory, if received Monday - Friday. The Cytology Laboratory is closed on weekends and holidays. Specimens received after 3:00 p.m. on Friday will be processed the following Monday and resulted on Tuesday.
Microscopic evaluation of smear preparations.
EPIC: LAB6797, SOFT: CYT
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.
This directory currently reflects information only for specimens collected and/or processed at the Farmington Hills,
Grosse Pointe, Royal Oak, and Troy campuses.