HIV 1/2 (RAPID)/Hepatitis Source Patient Panel
Source Patient Panel, HIV Source Testing, Source HIV, RAPID HIV, Source Hepatitis, Human Immunodeficiency Virus, Hepatitis C Antibody, Anti Hepatitis C, Anti-Hepatitis C, HBsAg, Hepatitis B Surface Antigen, HIV 1/2 (RAPID) / Hepatitis Source Patient Panel , EPIC: LAB6648, SOFT: HSPP
- This panel is designed ONLY for blood/body fluid exposure cases. It should NOT be used to obtain RAPID HIV results in any other clinical cases.
- This panel includes: HIV 1/2 Antibody and HIV-1 p24 Antigen (RAPID), Hepatitis B Surface Antigen, and Hepatitis C Virus Antibody.
- Order the HIV (RAPID)/Hepatitis Source Patient Panel STAT on the source patient
- RAPID HIV tests can only be ordered for exposures (the source of exposure is to be tested, NOT the exposed person)
- Form 553 (Employee Illness/Accident Form) must be filled out for the exposed person.
- The exposed person should proceed to Occupational Health Services or the Emergency Department at the nearest Beaumont Hospital immediately for evaluation and follow-up.
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collect: Two Gold-top SST tubes.
Please collect specimens from the source of the exposure. Do not send specimens collected from the exposed person.
Physician Office/Drawsite Specimen Preparation
- Let SST specimens clot then immediately centrifuge to separate serum from cells.
- If the Physician Office or Drawsite is on a Beaumont Hospital Campus, immediately transport the specimens to the STAT Laboratory (Royal Oak) or Chemistry Laboratory (Grosse Pointe, Troy and Farmington Hills).
- If not on a Beaumont Hospital Campus, contact Courier Services for a STAT pickup at 800-551-0488.
- Refrigerate (2-8°C or 36-46°F) the centrifuged SST tube prior to STAT transport.
Preparation for Courier Transport
Transport: Centrifuged SST tubes, refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F).
- Specimens not collected in Gold-top SST tubes.
Specimens may be tested immediately upon receipt. Specimens can be stored at 2o-8oC for up to 5 days. Specimens should be stored at -20oC or below if storage is necessary for more than five (5) days. Specimens may not be frozen and thawed more than twice prior to use with the Reveal test.
Sunday – Saturday, 24 hours a day.
HIV 1/2 (RAPID): STAT results available within 2 hours.
HBsAg and HCV Antibody: Results available within 24 hours.
HCV RNA Quantitation: Performed once per week, results available on Wednesday.
HIV 1/2 (RAPID): Negative.
HCV Antibody: Negative.
HIV (RAPID): Immunochromatography.
HBsAg: Enzyme Immunochemiluminescence with Neutralization.
HCV Antibody: Enzyme Immunochemiluminescence.
A positive RAPID HIV test is considered to be a preliminary positive. This will be confirmed by the current 4th generation assay and when necessary additional confirmation procedures. In accordance with recent CDC guidelines, Western Blot will NOT be performed.
- The RAPID HIV-1/2 test is used to assay serum from source patients who have inadvertently exposed health care workers. Test results should be made available to ordering physicians (EC and/or OHS) within 2 hours. This is to permit prompt dispensing of antiviral chemoprophylaxis to health care workers.
- Hepatitis B Virus can be found in blood, saliva, semen and other body fluids of infected individuals. The virus is spread by direct contact with infectious body fluids.
- Hepatitis C Virus can be found in blood and other body fluids of infected individuals. The virus is spread by direct contact with infectious body fluids.
86703, 86803, 87340.
EPIC: LAB6648, SOFT: HSPP