HCG Qualitative, Pregnancy Serum
Human Chorionic Gonadotropin, Serum Qualitative, Beta Subunit Human Chorionic Gonadotropin, Serum Qualitative, hCG, Qualitative Serum (Pregnancy Test) , Antrim #17279, EPIC: LAB5067, SOFT: HCGS2
Serum qualitative hCG specimens should ONLY be collected from EC and inpatients at the Troy Hospital Campus. Specimens should NOT be collected at any other Beaumont Laboratory drawsite or Outreach office.
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collect: One Gold-top SST tube. (Minimum Whole Blood: 4.0 mL)
Contact the Laboratory for acceptability of other tube types.
- Plasma specimens.
- Red-top tubes with serum not separated from cells within two hours of collection.
Sunday - Saturday, 24 hours a day.
STAT results available within 1 hour of receipt in the Laboratory.
Routine results available within 4 hours of receipt in the Laboratory.
- This assay measures free Beta subunits plus intact Beta-hCG. The hCG detection limit is 10.0 mIU/mL.
- Positive findings by this method will be confirmed and reported as quantitative serum hCG, Total Beta.
- hCG results should be evaluated in relation to the clinical findings of the patient and the results of other diagnostic tests. Rarely, hCG levels may appear consistently elevated due to the presence of heterophilic antibodies or to nonspecific protein binding. If the hCG level is inconsistent with clinical evidence, results should be confirmed by an alternate hCG method.
- A single negative pregnancy test cannot absolutely rule out pregnancy. After ovulation and conception, the embryo moves through the fallopian tube and implants into the endometrium. Ovulation usually, but not always, occurs at the end of the second week (14 days) of the menstrual cycle. Conception may precede detection of HCG by as much as 1 week. Assuming a regular 28 day menstrual cycle:
- Using a qualitative serum HCG assay (sensitivity 10.0 mIU/mL) the lab can diagnose 100% of pregnant patients by day 22-25.
- Using a quantitative serum HCG assay (sensitivity 2.0 mIU/mL) the lab can diagnose 100% of pregnant patients by day 21.
- Therefore, a negative HCG result within the 7 day window between ovulation and implantation would not rule out pregnancy, regardless of HCG test used.
This assay aids in the diagnosis of pregnancy.
Antrim #17279, EPIC: LAB5067, SOFT: HCGS2