Uric Acid Rasburicase (Elitek), Heparin
Uric Acid - Rasburicase, Elitek, EPIC: LAB5126, SOFT: UARH
EPIC: LAB5126, SOFT: UARH
- This test should be used for 3 days following rasburicase administration.
- It is essential that the order for this test be placed correctly. If only Uric Acid is ordered, the collection label will indicate incorrect collection instructions.
- Specimens from fasting individuals are preferred.
- Uric Acid Rasburicase should ONLY be collected at the Grosse Pointe, Royal Oak or Troy Hospital Campuses. Specimens should NOT be collected at any other Beaumont Laboratory drawsite, nursing home, or Outreach office.
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collect: One Green-top Lithium or Sodium Heparin tube.
- This test is considered STAT.
- Specimen must be placed ON ICE immediately after collection and must be delivered to the STAT Laboratory (Royal Oak) or Chemistry Laboratory (Grosse Pointe and Troy) immediately.
- Moderate to grossly hemolyzed specimens.
- Specimens not collected and processed as indicated.
Inpatient Specimen Preparation
Transport specimens STAT, ON ICE, to the STAT Laboratory (Royal Oak) or Chemistry Laboratory (Grosse Pointe and Troy).
Centrifuge immediately to separate plasma from cells and run the test STAT.
Grosse Pointe Laboratory
Royal Oak STAT Laboratory
Troy Chemistry Laboratory
Sunday – Saturday, 24 hours a day.
STAT results available within 30 minutes of receipt in the Laboratory.
Male: 2.5 - 8.0 mg/dL.
Female: 1.5 - 6.0 mg/dL.
Low uric acid levels in the setting of rasburicase use are most likely a result of the drug itself. If other potential causes of hypouricemia are suspected, repeat uric acid level after cessation of any uric acid lowering medications is suggested.
- In patients being treated with Rasburicase (Elitek), "Uric Acid Rasburicase" should be ordered for 3 days following drug administration. This recommendation is based on the drug's half-life and the expected duration of activity.
- Rasburicase catalyzes the oxidation of uric acid into an inactive and soluble metabolite. It is used for prophylaxis and treatment of chemotherapy-induced or spontaneous acute tumor lysis syndrome. Rasburicase can cause spuriously low plasma uric acid levels if the specimen is transported or stored at room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F) or if processing is delayed. Uric Acid Rasburicase differs from Uric Acid in the collection and handling of the specimen. Transporting the specimen on ice and running it STAT helps to minimize (but not necessarily completely eliminate) the artifactual effects of rasburicase. Uric acid levels should be ordered in this way only when rasburicase has been administered to a patient.
STAT Laboratory – RO
Chemistry Laboratory – GP
Chemistry Laboratory – TR
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.
This directory currently reflects information only for specimens collected and/or processed at the
Farmington Hills, Grosse Pointe, Royal Oak, and Troy campuses.