Porphyrins, 24-Hour, Feces , MAYO: FQPPS, EPIC: LAB6132, SOFT: XPORF
- Specimen collection containers can be obtained from Beaumont Laboratory at 1-800-551-0488.
- Patient should be instructed to refrain from red meat and aspirin-containing medications for 3 days prior to, as well as during, specimen collection.
- No barium, laxatives, or enemas may be used within 24 hours of starting the collection.
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collect (preferred specimen): 48 hour, 72 hour, or 96 hour stool specimen in the appropriate containers obtained from the Laboratory.
Also acceptable: 24 hour stool specimen in the appropriate containers obtained from the Laboratory, if the collection volume is approximately 100 grams. If a 24 hour collection does not weigh 100 grams, continue collection until 100 grams are obtained.
- Specimen must be refrigerated or frozen during and after collection.
- Note the length of collection on the specimen.
Physician Office/Drawsite Specimen Preparation
Note the length of collection on the specimen. Freeze (-20°C/-4°F or below) the entire specimen prior to transport.
Preparation for Courier Transport
Transport: Entire stool collection, frozen (-20°C/-4°F or below). (Min: 10 g)
- Specimens less than 10 grams.
- Specimens not collected and processed as indicated.
Monday - Friday.
Results available in 5-6 days.
High Pressure Liquid Chromatography (HPLC). Porphyrins are quantitated by fluorescence.
This assay includes coproporphyrins, protoporphyrins, and uroporphyrins.
MAYO: FQPPS, EPIC: LAB6132, SOFT: XPORF
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.
This directory currently reflects information only for specimens collected and/or processed at the
Farmington Hills, Grosse Pointe, Royal Oak, and Troy campuses.