Glucose, Whole Blood
Blood Sugar , EPIC: LAB5345, SOFT: GLUW
- Glucose, Whole Blood should ONLY be collected at the Royal Oak or Troy Hospital Campuses. Specimens should not be collected at any other Beaumont Laboratory drawsite, nursing home, or Outreach office.
- This test can be performed as either a fasting or random blood sugar.
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collect: One Dark Green-top Lithium Heparin tube. (Minimum Whole Blood: 1.0 mL)
Transport specimen STAT to the Laboratory after collection.
- Specimen in which significant delays occur before arrival in the Laboratory (greater than 2 hours).
0,Sample should be tested within 1-2 hours of collection.
Sunday - Saturday, 24 hours a day.
Results available within 30 minutes of receipt in the Laboratory.
Fasting: 60-99 mg/dL.
Random: 60-139 mg/dL.
See Glucose assay.
- This assay is appropriate when rapid turn around time is important for patient management.
- If serum or heparinized plasma is left in contact with blood cells for extended periods, glucose will be metabolized. Glucose levels decrease by about 5-7 mg/dl per hour at room temperature in normal specimens containing normal numbers of RBC's and WBC's.
EPIC: LAB5345, SOFT: GLUW
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.
This directory currently reflects information only for specimens collected and/or processed at the
Farmington Hills, Grosse Pointe, Royal Oak, and Troy campuses.