Argatroban (Dilute Thrombin TIme)
EPIC: LAB6884, SOFT: ARGAT
Specimens with hematocrit values greater than 55% must have anticoagulant adjusted. Specimens must be recollected using a specified whole blood to sodium citrate ratio. Contact the performing Laboratory for specific instructions.
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collect: One Light Blue-top Becton-Dickinson 3.2% Sodium Citrate tube.
TUBE MUST BE FULL.
Physician Office/Drawsite Specimen Preparation
For optimal results, maintain whole blood specimen at room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F) prior to transport. Transport whole blood to the Laboratory within 4 hours of collection. If transport within 4 hours is not possible, the following procedure must be followed for accurate results:
- Centrifuge the capped tube at 1500 x g for 15 minutes.
- Transfer plasma with a plastic pipette into a plastic polypropylene centrifuge tube, cap and centrifuge an additional 15 minutes at 1500 x g to obtain platelet poor plasma (PPP) which has a platelet count less than 10 bil/L. Plasma with a platelet count of less than 10 bil/L is critical for accurate results.
- Immediately remove only the top two-thirds of the PPP and transfer it into a plastic tube.
- Freeze (-20°C/-4°F or below) the PPP immediately.
- Transport frozen on DRY ICE. Specimen must remain frozen during transport.
Preparation for Courier Transport
Transport: Whole blood at room temperature (20-25°C or 68-77°F), or plasma obtained through the process listed above, frozen (-20°C/-4°F or below).
- Glass tubes and 3.8% Sodium Citrate tubes.
- Specimens that are clotted or grossly hemolyzed.
- Inappropriate specimen volume.
- Thawed or partially thawed specimens.
Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Results available within 24 hours.
Therapeutic Range: 0.6 - 1.8 mcg/mL.
Clotting Assay (Siemens BCS/BCSXP).
The dilute thrombin time should not be affected by warfarin or lupus anticoagulant.
The dilute thrombin time is a clotting test that can be used for quantitative measurement of argatroban in plasma. Argatroban is typically monitored using the aPTT. However, in some cases, a patient's baseline aPTT may be abnormal due to lupus anticoagulant or other coagulapathies, making monitoring of argatroban difficult. In these cases, argatroban levels can provide a more accurate assessment of drug levels.
EPIC: LAB6884, SOFT: ARGAT
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.
This directory currently reflects information only for specimens collected and/or processed at the
Farmington Hills, Grosse Pointe, Royal Oak, and Troy campuses.