Acute Hepatitis Panel
EPIC: LAB5216, SOFT: AHPT
Acute Hepatitis Panel includes:
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collect (preferred specimen): One Gold-top SST tube. (Minimum Whole Blood: 4.0 mL)
Also acceptable: One Lavender-top EDTA tube. (Minimum Whole Blood: 3.0 mL)
Physician Office/Drawsite Specimen Preparation
- Let SST specimens clot 30-60 minutes then immediately centrifuge to separate serum from cells. Refrigerate (2–8°C or 36–46°F) the centrifuged SST tube within two hours of collection. (Min: 2.0 mL)
- Centrifuge Lavender-top tube immediately to separate plasma from cells. Transfer plasma to a plastic transport tube and refrigerate (2–8°C or 36–46°F) within twelve hours of collection. (Min: 2.0 mL)
Preparation for Courier Transport
Transport: Centrifuged SST tube or plasma aliquot, refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F). (Min: 2.0 mL serum or plasma)
- Hemolyzed specimens.
- Severely lipemic specimens.
- Specimens that have gross bacterial contamination.
- Red-top tubes with serum not separated from cells within two hours of collection.
- Lavender-top tubes with plasma not separated from cells within twelve hours of collection.
Centrifuged SST tubes may be transported and stored at ambient
temperatures (2o to 30o C; 36o to 86o F) for up to 48 hours.
DO NOT FREEZE TUBES CONTAINING BLOOD. For longer storage, the serum should
be removed from the gel and refrigerated (2o -8o C) or frozen at
-20o C or below.
Red-top tubes and Microtainers® may be stored at ambient temperatures
for up to 16 hours and for up to 3 days at refrigerator temperatures (2o
- 8o C). DO NOT FREEZE TUBES CONTAINING BLOOD. For longer storage,
the serum should be removed from the clot and refrigerated (2o -8o
C) or frozen at -20o C or below.
Serum specimens (pour-overs) may be stored at room temperature
(20o to 26o C; 68o to 79o F) for up to 1 week, refrigerator
temperature (2o to 8o C; 36o to 47o F) for two weeks, and
at -20o C (-4o F) for up to 3 months. Specimens stored at -70o
C (-94o F) can be stored indefinitely. Avoid repeated freezing
Sunday – Saturday, 24 hours a day.
Results available within 24 hours of receipt in the Laboratory.
Hepatitis A Antibody (IgM): Negative.
Hepatitis B Core Antibody (IgM): Negative.
Hepatitis B Surface Antigen: Negative.
Hepatitis C Antibody: Negative.
This panel is used in the differential diagnosis of hepatitis infections. See individual entries for more information:
EPIC: LAB5216, SOFT: AHPT
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.
This directory currently reflects information only for specimens collected and/or processed at the
Farmington Hills, Grosse Pointe, Royal Oak, and Troy campuses.