HIV Viral Load (HIV 1 RNA Quantitation)
Human Immunodeficiency Virus 1 quantitation, HIV 1 RNA Quantitation By PCR, EPIC: LAB6399, SOFT: IHIVG
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collect: Two Lavender-top EDTA tubes.
- Minimum volume and pediatric minimum (single test with no repeat): 2.5 mL whole blood (1.1 mL plasma).
- Separate samples must be submitted when multiple tests are ordered.
Physician Office/Drawsite Specimen Preparation
Centrifuge to separate plasma from cells within 24 hours of collection. Transfer all available plasma to a plastic transport tube and refrigerate (2-8°C or 36-46°F). (Min: 1.1 mL)
Preparation for Courier Transport
Transport: Plasma, refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F). (Min: 1.1 mL)
- Specimens not centrifuged within 24 hours of collection.
- Unlabeled tubes.
- Specimens not collected in Lavender-top EDTA tubes.
- Samples exposed to repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
Specimen Stability for Testing:
Room Temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F): 24 hours
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): 5 days
Frozen (-20°C/-4°F or below): 4 months
Specimen Storage in Department Prior to Disposal:
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): 7 days
Royal Oak Clinical Molecular Pathology Laboratory.
Once per week (Monday or Tuesday).
Results available within 7-10 days.
- HIV-1 RNA not detected. The limit of detection is 20 copies/mL
- The reportable range is 20 - 10,000,000 copies/mL.
- Results exceeding 10,000,000 copies/mL will not be diluted, and will be reported as greater than 10,000,000 copies/mL.
Quantitative real-time polymerase chain reaction (qPCR)- Roche COBAS® AmpliPrep/COBAS® TaqMan® HIV-1 Test, v2.0 (FDA Approved).
- This test is intended for use in conjunction with clinical presentation and other laboratory markers of disease progress for the clinical management of HIV-1 infected patients. The test can be used to assess patient prognosis by measuring the baseline HIV-1 RNA level or to monitor the effects of antiretroviral therapy by measuring changes in EDTA plasma HIV-1 RNA levels during the course of antiretroviral treatment.
- This test is NOT intended for use as a screening test for the presence of HIV-1 in blood or blood products or as a diagnostic test to confirm the presence of HIV-1 infection.
- The lower limit of detection for this assay is 20 copies/mL. When HIV-1 RNA is detected, the corresponding HIV-1 RNA viral load will be reported
This is a reportable infection and positive results will be reported to the Oakland County Health Department. For more information on reportable diseases, contact the Epidemiology Department at (248) 551-4040.
EPIC: LAB6399, SOFT: IHIVG
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.
This directory currently reflects information only for specimens collected and/or processed at the Farmington Hills,
Grosse Pointe, Royal Oak, and Troy campuses.