Specimen Collection Manual: Tissue (Skin, Sub-Cutaneous, Etc.), Fluid Collection - Viral
- Sterile syringe, 2-5 mL.
- Sterile screw-capped collection container.
- UTM or UVT transport medium.
Specimen Collection Criteria
- Tissues: Collect tissues aseptically taking care to prevent cross-contamination when specimens are taken from multiple sites.
- Use different tubes of transport media for tissue specimens from different sites.
- Autopsy specimens should be collected within 24 hours of the time of death
- Vesicle Fluid Collection: Select a vesicle containing clear fluids. The efficiency of virus detection decreases significantly when pustular fluids are collected.
- Aseptically unroof the lesion and blot the excess fluid with a swab.
- Gently rub the base of the lesion with a flocked ESwab to collect infected epithelial cells.
- Place the swab in viral transport medium and break the shaft at the perforation so that it will fit into the vial.
- Fluids: Aspirate into a sterile syringe (2-5 mL). Transfer the aspirate into a sterile, screw-capped collection container.
- Do not submit tissues for culture in formalin, or in containers that ever contained formalin.
- Do not use expired media. Check expiration date on all media prior to use.
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.
This directory currently reflects information only for specimens collected and/or processed at the
Farmington Hills, Grosse Pointe, Royal Oak, and Troy campuses.