Heavy Metals Screen, Urine
Heavy Metals Panel, Urine, ARUP #20572, EPIC: LAB6048, SOFT: XHMU
ARUP #20572, EPIC: LAB6048, SOFT: XHMU
- A Urine Creatinine test is performed on each sample.
- The Urine Heavy Metal Screen includes the following tests:
- Please refer to the Specimen Collection Manual for instructions on 24 Hour Urine Collection:
- Diet, medication, and nutritional supplements may introduce interfering substances. Patients should be encouraged to discontinue nutritional supplements, vitamins, minerals, nonessential over-the-counter medications (upon the advice of their physician), and avoid shellfish and seafood for 48 to 72 hours. High concentrations of iodine may interfere with elemental testing. Abstinence from iodine-containing medications or contrast agents for at least 1 month prior to collecting specimens for elemental testing is recommended.
- Urine collected within 48 hours after administration of a gadolinium (Gd) containing contrast media (may occur with MRI studies) will not be tested.
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collect (preferred specimen): 24 hour urine sample with no preservative.
Also acceptable: Random urine specimen in a screw-capped container (preferred) or other sterile collection cup. (Minimum: 2.0 mL)
- Keep 24 hour urine specimen iced or refrigerated during collection.
- Include start and end dates and times for the collection period on the specimen container.
Urine Preservative Options
6N Hydrochloric Acid
Boric Acid (10g)
50% Acetic Acid
Physician Office/Draw Specimen Preparation
Maintain specimens refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F) prior to transport.
Preparation for Courier Transport
Transport: Entire 24 hour urine collection, or random urine, refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F).
- Specimens not collected and processed as indicated.
Measure total volume of 24 hour urine specimen. Record total volume and collection start and end dates and times in the LIS system. Aliquot 8.0 mL from the well-mixed 24 hour urine collection or random urine into a metal-free transport tube. (Minimum: 2.0 mL)
Specimen Stability for Testing:
Room Temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F): 7 days
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): 14 days
Frozen (-20°C/-4°F or below): 1 year
Specimen Storage in Department Prior to Disposal:
Specimen retention time is determined by the policy of the reference laboratory. Contact the Sendout Laboratory with any questions.
Sent to ARUP Laboratories, Salt Lake City, UT.
Sunday – Saturday.
Results available in 2-5 days.
Quantitative Inductively Coupled Plasma / Mass Spectrometry.
This assay is used to screen for heavy metal poisoning and toxic exposure. The urine lead assay is useful for organic lead exposure and to monitor chelation.
82175 (Arsenic - x2 if reflexed), 82300 (Cadium), 83655 (Lead), 83825 (Mercury).
Send Out Laboratory – RO
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.
This directory currently reflects information only for specimens collected and/or processed at the
Farmington Hills, Grosse Pointe, Royal Oak, and Troy campuses.