Bronchoalveolar Lavage (BAL), Saccomanno Fixed - Royal Oak and Farmington Hills
Bronchial Lavage, Cytology, Non-Gyn Respiratory Specimen, CYTOLOGY, MEDICAL (NON-GYN/FNA) , EPIC: LAB6797, SOFT: CYT
The Cytology Laboratory can provide RPMI mediumfor specimen collection:
- Farmington Hills: 947-521-8249
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collect: Bronchoalveolar Lavage (BAL) specimen in a mucus trap according to established endoscopic procedure. (Min: 10 mL)
- Add an equal amount of RPMI medium to the specimen or send the specimen fresh.
- Make sure the specimen trap is tightly sealed using the regular cap supplied with the trap.
- Label the specimen container with the patient's full name, date of birth, hospital number, source of specimen, and date of test.
- In house cytology specimens should be ordered in EPIC order entry. In the “additional orders” field input “CYTOLOGY, MEDICAL (NON-GYN/FNA)” and fill in all appropriate fields. IMPORTANT: ORDER AND SIGN EACH CYTOLOGY TEST INDIVIDUALLY. THE LABORATORY INFORMATION SYSTEM CANNOT FILE MULTIPLE TESTS ORDERED IN THE SAME SESSION AND SOME ORDERS MAY BE LOST. Label specimen container and requisition with SOFT ID labels.
- All Cytology specimens must be accompanied by a requisition and must include the patient name, hospital and visit number, date of birth, date of specimen collection, pertinent patient history, physician name and source of specimen.
Physician Office/Drawsite Specimen Preparation
The specimen should be refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F) prior to transport.
Preparation for Courier Transport
Transport: BAL specimen in sealed mucus trap, refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F) / in cooler for transport.
- Improper labeling of specimen container or requisition.
- Specimen not accompanied by requisition.
- Requisitions not accompanied by a specimen.
- Improper collection of specimen (such as improper fixation).
- Specimens that leak outside of specimen container into transport bags.
- Any specimen received without all of the required information will result in a delay of processing until all information can be verified.
Monday – Friday, 8:00 am–4:30 pm
Results available within 24–36 hours of receipt in the Cytology Laboratory, if received Monday – Friday. The Cytology Laboratory is closed on weekends and holidays. Specimens received after 3:00 pm on Friday will be processed the following Monday and resulted on Tuesday.
Smear or Cytospin preparation.
CPT: 88104, 88108, 88312
EPIC: LAB6797, SOFT: CYT
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.
This directory currently reflects information only for specimens collected and/or processed at the
Farmington Hills, Grosse Pointe, Royal Oak, and Troy campuses.