Type and Screen
Type/Screen, EPIC: LAB5274, SOFT: TS
Specimens used for transfusion purposes must be drawn within 3 days of intended transfusion. Day of collection is Day 0. Tubes drawn for cryoprecipitate, fresh frozen plasma (FFP), or platelet transfusions may be more than 3 days old, but must be obtained during the current admission/visit.
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collect: One Pink-top EDTA tube, properly labeled. (Minimum Volume: 5.0 mL)
Also acceptable: (For Nursery Patients) One Pink-top EDTA Microtainer®, properly labeled. (Minimum Volume: 0.5 mL) Blood Bank may call for additional specimen if further testing is required.
It is extremely important that blood samples are accurately labeled. Inpatient labels must include the following information:
Grosse Pointe, Royal Oak & Troy
- Patient's Name: Complete name, last name first. If the patient uses a first initial followed by a middle name, both must appear in proper order on the label.
- Wrist Band Number: Include the prefix letters, 4 numbers, and a suffix letter (example: BR1234T). Specimens lacking this complete information cannot be used for blood transfusion purposes.
- Hospital Identification Number: The seven digit medical record number must be included on the label.
- Date and Time Collected
- Identification of Collector: Employee ID number must be on the sample tube or documented in the computer system.
- Patient's Name
- Medical Record Number
- CSN Number
- Patient's Date of Birth
- Date and Time Collected
- Identificaton of Collector
For Beaumont Reference Laboratory (Outreach) patients, please refer to the Laboratory Bulletin on Blood Bank Specimen Labeling Requirements.
Physician Office/Drawsite Specimen Preparation
Maintain specimen at room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F) or refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F) prior to transport.
Preparation for Courier Transport
Transport: Whole blood at room temperature (20-25°C or 68-77°F) or refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F).
- Improperly labeled specimens.
- Specimens with inadequate volume.
- Specimens collected in SST tubes.
- Specimens contaminated with IV fluids.
- Hemolyzed samples will be tested only in emergency situations.
Specimen Stability for Testing:
Room Temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F): 24 hours
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): 72 hours
Frozen (-20°C/-4°F or below): Unacceptable
Specimen Storage in Department Prior to Disposal:
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): Specimens are held for a minimum of 7 days.
*Once a sample arrives in Blood Bank, it cannot be shared with other laboratories.
Farmington Hills Transfusion Medicine Laboratory (Blood Bank).
Grosse Pointe Transfusion Medicine Laboratory (Blood Bank).
Royal Oak Transfusion Medicine Laboratory (Blood Bank).
Troy Transfusion Medicine Laboratory (Blood Bank).
Sunday - Saturday, 24 hours a day.
Results available within 2 hours of receipt in the Blood Bank for routine inpatient requests (without unexpected antibodies) and within 8 hours of receipt in the Blood Bank for outpatient specimens.
ABO/Rh Type: By report.
- Negative - No antibody detected.
- Positive - Antibody detected. Follow-up antibody identification will be performed as indicated per policy. The antibodies should be identified in order to determine their potential for harm to the patient and to assess appropriate action to be taken in the future. Antibody identification is performed and billed at a separate additional charge if indicated.
- False negative test results may occur if the serum being tested contains an antibody directed toward an antigen not represented on the reagent red blood cells being used for testing. False negative results may also be obtained if the antibody titer falls below detectable levels.
Note: Nursery antibody screen results are for transfusion purposes and may reflect either mother's or baby's antibody screen.
Proper ABO and Rh typing and detection of irregular antibodies are required to provide compatible blood for transfusion. This testing also provides historical data useful in assuring accuracy of subsequent specimens and testing and assessing special blood requirements for a future date.
86900 (ABO), 86901 (Rh), 86850 (Antibody Screen).
EPIC: LAB5274, SOFT: TS