Heparin Cofactor II
Heparin Cofactor II *RUO*, LabCorp #500187, Esoterix #300133, EPIC: LAB6267, SOFT: XHCF2
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collect: Two Light Blue-top Sodium Citrate tubes.
TUBES MUST BE FULL.
Physician Office/Drawsite Specimen Preparation
For optimal results, maintain whole blood specimen at room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F) prior to transport. Transport whole blood to the Laboratory within 4 hours of collection. If transport within 4 hours is not possible, the following procedure must be followed for accurate results:
- Centrifuge the capped tubes at 1500 x g for 15 minutes.
- Transfer plasma with plastic pipette into a plastic polypropylene centrifuge tube, cap and centrifuge an additional 15 minutes at 1500 x g to obtain platelet poor plasma (PPP) which has a platelet count less than 10 bil/L. Plasma with a platelet count of less than 10 bil/L is critical for accurate results.
- Immediately remove only the top two-thirds of the PPP and transfer into a plastic tube.
- Freeze (-20°C/-4°F or below) the PPP immediately.
- Transport frozen on DRY ICE. Specimen must remain frozen during transport.
Preparation for Courier Transport
Transport: 1.0 mL PPP, frozen (-20°C/-4°F or below). (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Specimens not collected and processed as indicated.
Specimen Stability for Testing:
Room Temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F): Unacceptable
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): 48 hours
Frozen (-20°C/-4°F or below): 30 days
Specimen Storage in Department Prior to Disposal:
Specimen retention time is determined by the policy of the reference laboratory. Contact the Sendout Laboratory with any questions.
Sent to LabCorp Esoterix Endocrinology, Calabassas Hills, CA, forwarded to Colorado Coagulation.
Results available in 2-8 days.
According to Esoterix Test Menu, Heparin Cofactor II is a naturally occurring anticoagulant. A clear relationship between increased risk of thrombosis and heparin cofactor II deficiency has not been established.
LabCorp #500187, Esoterix #300133, EPIC: LAB6267, SOFT: XHCF2
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.
This directory currently reflects information only for specimens collected and/or processed at the Farmington Hills,
Grosse Pointe, Royal Oak, and Troy campuses.