Iso (Allo) Hemagglutinin Titer
EPIC: LAB5291, SOFT: ISOTI
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collect: One Pink-top EDTA tube, properly labeled. (Minimum Volume: 5.0 mL)
It is extremely important that blood samples are accurately labeled. Inpatient labels must include the following information:
- Patient's Name: Complete name, last name first. If the patient uses a first initial followed by a middle name, both must appear in proper order on the label.
- Wrist Band Number: Include the prefix letters, 4 numbers, and a suffix letter (example: BR1234T). Specimens lacking this complete information cannot be used for blood transfusion purposes.
- Hospital Identification Number: The seven digit medical record number must be included on the label.
- Date and Time Collected
- Identification of Collector: Employee ID number must be on the sample tube or documented in the computer system.
For Beaumont Reference Laboratory (Outreach) patients, please refer to the Laboratory Bulletin on Blood Bank Specimen Labeling Requirements.
Physician Office/Drawsite Specimen Preparation
Maintain specimen at room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F) or refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F) prior to transport.
Preparation for Courier Transport
Transport: Whole blood at room temperature (20-25°C or 68-77°F) or refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F).
- Improperly labeled specimens.
- Specimens with inadequate volume.
- Specimens collected in SST tubes.
- Specimens contaminated with IV fluids.
- Hemolyzed specimens will be tested only in emergency situations.
Specimen Stability for Testing:
Room Temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F): 24 hours
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): 72 hours
Frozen (-20°C/-4°F or below): Unacceptable
Specimen Storage in Department Prior to Disposal:
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): Specimens are held for a minimum of 7 days.
*Once a sample arrives in Blood Bank, it cannot be shared with other laboratories.
Royal Oak Transfusion Medicine Laboratory (Blood Bank).
Monday - Friday, 6:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Results available within 24 hours.
- Ordinarily, people possess antibodies directed toward the A and/or B antigen absent from their own rbcs. Titration of these antibodies is most often requested for the assessment of solid organ transplant compatibility.
- Historically, Iso Hemagglutinin Titers were obtained to check for immunodeficiency in young children (9 months to 2 years) suspected to have a disease state associated with absent or abnormally low allohemagglutinins.
- AABB Technical Manual, current edition.
- Royal Oak Blood Bank Procedure Manual.
EPIC: LAB5291, SOFT: ISOTI
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.
This directory currently reflects information only for specimens collected and/or processed at the Farmington Hills,
Grosse Pointe, Royal Oak, and Troy campuses.