Spinal Muscular Atrophy DNA Test - Carrier/Screening
SMA Panel, SMN, LabCorp #450010, Testing requires pathology approval prior to collection.
This test is not included in the Beaumont Laboratory testing formulary, however, the Laboratory can facilitate specimen collection.
- This test requires pathology review. Contact the Sendout Laboratory at 248-551-9045 before ordering this test.
- Testing requires the ordering physician to send a copy of the patient's insurance card (front and back).
- This test will be billed to the patient's insurance. If not covered by insurance, the patient is responsible for the full cost of testing.
- Specimens received without the appropriate forms and information will not be shipped.
- Once approved, order test as a Miscellaneous Sendout (XMISC).
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collect: Three Lavender-top EDTA tubes or two Yellow-top ACD tubes, after obtaining necessary pathology approval. (Min: 10 mL)
Physician Office/Drawsite Specimen Preparation
Do not centrifuge or freeze. Maintain whole blood at room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F) prior to transport. Pathology review and all appropriate forms must be completed prior to specimen transport.
Preparation for Courier Transport
Transport: 14 mL whole blood, room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F). (Min: 10 mL)
- Specimens received without prior Laboratory notification and review.
- Frozen specimens.
- Centrifuged specimens.
- Specimens not collected and processed as indicated.
Specimen Stability for Testing:
Room Temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F): 96 hours
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): 96 hours
Frozen (-20°C/-4°F or below): Unacceptable
Specimen Storage in Department Prior to Disposal:
Specimen retention time is determined by the policy of the reference laboratory. Contact the Sendout Laboratory with any questions.
Sent to LabCorp Integrated Genetics, Calabasas Hills, CA.
Results available in 6-10 days.
Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) Amplification followed by Gel Electrophoresis.
81401. Add 81479 when SMN2 analysis is performed.
LabCorp #450010, Testing requires pathology approval prior to collection.
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.
This directory currently reflects information only for specimens collected and/or processed at the Farmington Hills,
Grosse Pointe, Royal Oak, and Troy campuses.