Surgical Specimen, Routine – Farmington Hills Only
Routine surgical specimen, Tissue specimen, Surgical tissue, Please contact the Farmington Hills Anatomic Pathology Laboratory if assistance with ordering is needed., EPIC: LAB6798, SOFT: APS
- This test requires a container with 10% Neutral Buffered Formalin. 10% Neutral Buffered Formalin is available in Anatomic Pathology Laboratory.
- Tissue specimen(s) must be placed in an appropriately sized sterile container and covered with 10% Neutral Buffered Formalin, 5-10 times the volume of the specimen.
- Specimen(s) must be accompanied by a properly completed Pathology Requisition Form.
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collect: Tissue specimen(s), placed in an appropriately sized sterile collection container and covered with 10% Neutral Buffered Formalin, 5-10 times the volume of the specimen. Specimens and all appropriate forms are to be delivered to the designated drop area. This includes:
- Surgery Unit: To the labeled cart marked “Tissue Specimens.”
- Ambulatory Surgery Unit: To the designated area of the Utility Room.
- Endoscopy: To the “Soiled Utility Room” in the Endoscopy Unit.
- Out-Patient Physician Offices: Office pick-up by courier or delivery to the Laboratory Specimen Reception:
- Call Customer Service at 1-800-551-0488 for pick-up.
- “STAT” pick-ups are available if same day processing is required, but office must call to Customer Service at 1-800-551-0488 to schedule time of pick-up.
- Any specimens not physically within the possession of the Laboratory by 3:00pm will be processed the following work day.
- The Anatomic Pathology personnel will pick-up specimens several times daily (usually 2 morning and 2 afternoon pick-ups) from designated areas listed in numbers 1-3 above. The last pick-up will be at 3:00pm.
- For any specimen needing Pathology attention after 3:00 p.m., such as a frozen section or fresh specimens, a pathologist must be contacted and specimen brought directly to the Anatomic Pathology Laboratory and handed off to pathology personnel:
- All other specimens past 3:00 p.m. must be placed in 10% Neutral Buffered Formalin and delivered to the regular designated area of that unit.
- Any late or “after hours” specimen requiring special handling (flow cytometry, cytogenetics, etc.) should be handled in accordance to previously published laboratory procedures, distributed in the DIRECTORY OF LABORATORY SERVICES or LTD.
- DO NOT LEAVE ANY UNFIXED SPECIMEN OVERNIGHT.
Physician Office/Drawsite Specimen Preparation
Maintain specimen at room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F) in container with 10% Neutral Buffered Formalin.
Preparation for Courier Transport
Transport: Tissue in a container with 10% zinc formalin, at room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F).
Any missing information will delay processing and final diagnosis.
Specimen Stability for Testing:
Specimens are processed immediately upon receipt in the Laboratory.
Specimen Storage in Department Prior to Disposal:
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): 2 weeks after sign-off.
Farmington Hills Anatomic Pathology Laboratory.
Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Results available within 24-48 hours unless special study is required.
Routine processing. Hematoxylin and Eosin stained slides. Special staining procedures as needed.
Diagnosis performed by the board certified pathologist.
Varies dependent on testing performed. Please contact the Laboratory with questions.
Please contact the Farmington Hills Anatomic Pathology Laboratory if assistance with ordering is needed., EPIC: LAB6798, SOFT: APS
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.
This directory currently reflects information only for specimens collected and/or processed at the Farmington Hills,
Grosse Pointe, Royal Oak, and Troy campuses.