Pneumocystis jiroveci (carinii) DFA, Pneumocystis Stain, PCP Stain, Antrim #40559, EPIC: LAB5530, SOFT: STPCP
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collect: Pulmonary specimen in tightly sealed, sterile collection container. Acceptable specimen are listed below.
- Bronchoalveolar Lavage (BAL)
- Bronchial Washing
- Induced Sputum
- Lung Biopsy
- Sputum (This specimen is the least acceptable for Pneumocystis Stain. Non-induced sputum specimen are not encouraged but will not be rejected.)
Physician Office/Drawsite Specimen Preparation
The specimen must be refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F) within two hours of collection. Maintain refrigerated prior to transport.
Preparation for Courier Transport
Transport: Pulmonary specimen in a tightly sealed, sterile collection container, refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F).
- Specimens received in formalin or other preservatives.
- Specimens received on slides or swabs.
- Frozen specimens.
Specimen Stability for Testing:
Room Temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F): 2 hours
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): 5 days
Frozen (-20°C/-4°F or below): Unacceptable
Specimen Storage in Department Prior to Disposal:
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): 7 days
Grosse Pointe sent to Royal Oak Microbiology Laboratory for testing.
Royal Oak Microbiology Laboratory.
Troy sent to Royal Oak Microbiology Laboratory for testing.
Monday - Friday.
STAT specimens available on weekends, 7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Routine results available within 24 hours.
No Pneumocystis seen.
- Direct fluorescent antibody (DFA) - monoclonal antibodies against P. jiroveci cysts and sporozites cell wall and matrix.
- Fluid specimens are concentrated and stained.
- Imprints are made from tissue specimens and stained.
Specific fluorescence with typical morphology is diagnostic for the presence of P. jiroveci.
This assay aids in the diagnosis of Pneumocystis jiroveci, formerly P. carinii.
- MeriFluor Direct Immunofluorescent Detection Procedure, Package Insert, SN 11060, Rev. 6/02.
- Medscape: Pneumocystis (carinii) jiroveci Pneumonia Overview of PCP, Nicholas John Bennett, MB, BCh, PhD; Chief Editor: Burke A Cunha, MD. Updated February, 2012.
Antrim #40559, EPIC: LAB5530, SOFT: STPCP
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.
This directory currently reflects information only for specimens collected and/or processed at the Farmington Hills,
Grosse Pointe, Royal Oak, and Troy campuses.