HIV-1 RNA Qualitative by PCR
Human Immunodeficiency Virus 1 quantitation, HIV 1 RNA Qualitative By PCR , EPIC: LAB7097, SOFT: IHIVR
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collect: Two Lavender-top EDTA tubes.
- Minimum volume and pediatric minimum (single test with no repeat): 2.5 mL whole blood (1.1 mL plasma).
- Separate samples must be submitted when multiple tests are ordered.
Physician Office/Drawsite Specimen Preparation
Centrifuge to separate plasma from cells within 24 hours of collection. Transfer all available plasma to a plastic transport tube and refrigerate (2-8°C or 36-46°F). (Min: 1.1 mL)
Preparation for Courier Transport
Transport: Plasma, refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F). (Min: 1.1 mL)
- Specimens not centrifuged within 24 hours of collection.
- Unlabeled tubes.
- Specimens not collected in Lavender-top EDTA tubes.
- Samples exposed to repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
Once per week
Results available within 7-10 days.
HIV-1 RNA not detected. The limit of detection is 20 copies/mL.
Real-time polymerase chain reaction: Roche COBAS® AmpliPrep/COBAS® TaqMan® HIV-1 Test, v2.0 (FDA Approved).
This test is useful to determine the presence or absence of HIV-1 RNA in peripheral blood. Test results should be interpreted in conjunction with clinical and other laboratory data of the patient.
EPIC: LAB7097, SOFT: IHIVR