H. Pylori Breath Test
Helicobacter pylori, H. pylori, h pylori, Breath Test, Breath Tek UBT, Ubit, Urea Breath Test, C13 Breath Test , H. pylori Breath Test: EPIC: LAB7044, SOFT: XHPBG, H. pylori Breath Test, Children: EPIC: LAB7045, SOFT: XHPB1
- For patients less than 18 years old, please supply height and weight.
- Do not eat or drink for one hour prior to taking the test.
- A patient CANNOT take the following medications for two weeks prior to testing:
- All antibiotics.
- Proton Pump Inhibitors (i.e. Zegerid, Prilosec, Prilosec OTC, Prevacid, Aciphex, Protonix, Nexium).
- Bismucth preparations such as Pepto Bismol.
- This test is contra-indicated in patients with phenylalanine restrictive diet (PKU).
- When testing to confirm cure, this test should be administered at least 4 weeks after completion of treatment/therapy.
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collection requires the use of the Breath Tek UBT collection kit. Follow collection instructions provided.
Physician Office/Drawsite Specimen Preparation
Maintain specimen at room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F) prior to transport.
Preparation for Courier Transport
Transport: Breath specimen, at room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F).
- Specimens not collected and processed as indicated.
Sunday - Saturday.
Results available in 4-6 days.
IR (infrared) spectoscopy to assess the presence of 13CO2.
The Breath Tek UBT is used to detect urease associated with the H. pylori bacteria in the stomach and to help in the initial diagnosis and post-treatment monitoring of the H. pylori bacterial infection. This test may be used for monitoring the treatment of the bacterial infection if used at least 4 weeks following completion of treatment.
H. pylori Breath Test: EPIC: LAB7044, SOFT: XHPBG, H. pylori Breath Test, Children: EPIC: LAB7045, SOFT: XHPB1