Miscellaneous Brush Specimen - Grosse Pointe & Troy
Miscellaneous brushing of any body site other than brushes from the respiratory system or gastrointestinal system, Brush, Miscellaneous, Cytology, Non-Gyn Other Specimen, CYTOLOGY, MEDICAL (NON-GYN/FNA) , EPIC: LAB6797, SOFT: CYT
- For supplies or questions regarding specimen collection and transport, please contact the Cytology Laboratory.
- Grosse Pointe: 313-473-1850 or extension 1850.
- Troy: 248-964-9050 or extension 49050.
- Outreach: 800-551-0488.
- Examples of miscellaneous brush specimens include nasal, oral, urethral brushings, etc.
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collect: Endoscopic brush placed into a pre-filled bottle of isotonic saline or a ThinPrep® PreservCyt vial.
- The brush must be covered in fluid.
- Label the specimen container with the patient name, hospital number, source of specimen, and date of test.
- In house cytology specimens should be ordered in EPIC order entry. In the “additional orders” field input “CYTOLOGY, MEDICAL (NON-GYN/FNA)” and fill in all appropriate fields. IMPORTANT: ORDER AND SIGN EACH CYTOLOGY TEST INDIVIDUALLY. THE LABORATORY INFORMATION SYSTEM CANNOT FILE MULTIPLE TESTS ORDERED IN THE SAME SESSION AND SOME ORDERS MAY BE LOST. Label specimen container and requisition with SOFT ID labels.
- All Cytology specimens must be accompanied by a requisition and must include the patient name, hospital and visit number, date of birth, date of specimen collection, pertinent patient history, physician name and source of specimen.
Physician Office/Drawsite Specimen Preparation
Specimens in isotonic saline must be stored refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F) prior to transport. Specimens in a ThinPrep® PreservCyt vial may be maintained at room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F) or refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F) prior to transport.
Preparation for Courier Transport
Transport: Brush submersed in isotonic saline or in a ThinPrep® PreservCyt vial, refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F).
- Improper labeling of specimen container or requisition.
- Specimen not accompanied by requisition.
- Requisitions not accompanied by a specimen.
- Improper collection of specimen (such as improper fixation).
- Any specimen received without all of the required information will result in a delay of processing until all information can be verified.
- Specimens that leak outside of specimen container into transport bags.
Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Results available within 24-36 hours of receipt in the Cytology Laboratory, if received Monday - Friday. The Cytology Laboratory is closed on weekends and holidays. Specimens received after 3:00 p.m. on Friday will be processed the following Monday and resulted on Tuesday.
ThinPrep® Monolayer Preparation, Smear Preparation, and Cell Block Preparation, if possible.
CPT: 88112, 88104.
EPIC: LAB6797, SOFT: CYT
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.
This directory currently reflects information only for specimens collected and/or processed at the
Farmington Hills, Grosse Pointe, Royal Oak, and Troy campuses.