Pyridoxine, B6, Pyridoxal 5-Phosphate (PLP), Plasma, WARDE: VITB6, Antrim #83235, EPIC: LAB6180, SOFT: XVIB6
- It is important that the patient fasts for 12-14 hours before specimen collection. No substance except water should be ingested during this time frame.
- Individuals should also refrain from ingesting vitamin supplements or alcohol 24 hours prior to drawing the specimen.
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collect: One Lavendar-top EDTA tube.
- Critical frozen. Freeze specimen immediately after collection.
- Protect specimen from light.
- Send specimen for processing immediately after collection.
Physician Office/Drawsite Specimen Preparation
Critical frozen. Maintain frozen (-20°C/-4°F or below) prior to transport. Protect specimen from light. Centrifuge immediately to separate plasma from cells. Transfer plasma to an amber transport tube and freeze (-20°C/-4°F or below) immediately.
Preparation for Courier Transport
Transport: 1.0 mL plasma, frozen (-20°C/-4°F or below). (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Specimens not collected and processed as indicated.
Specimen Stability for Testing:
Room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F): Unacceptable
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): Unacceptable
Frozen (-20°C/-4°F or below): 14 days
Specimen Storage in Department Prior to Disposal:
Specimen retention time is determined by the policy of the reference laboratory. Contact the Sendout Laboratory with any questions.
Sent to Warde Medical Laboratory, Ann Arbor, MI.
Monday - Friday.
Results available in 2-4 days.
High-Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC).
WARDE: VITB6, Antrim #83235, EPIC: LAB6180, SOFT: XVIB6
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.
This directory currently reflects information only for specimens collected and/or processed at the Farmington Hills,
Grosse Pointe, Royal Oak, and Troy campuses.