Urine Creatinine, 24 Hour Urine: EPIC: LAB5444, SOFT: CRU24, Random Urine: EPIC: LAB5035, SOFT: CREAU
Note: 24 hour and random urine specimens MUST be collected separately. See below for collection criteria.
- Please refer to the Specimen Collection Manual for instructions on 24 Hour or Random Urine Collection:
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collect: 24 hour urine or timed urine specimen with a 24 hour urine container with no preservatives.
Also acceptable: Random urine specimen in a screw-capped container (preferred) or another sterile collection cup. Preservatives are not acceptable for random urine specimens. (Minimum: 20 mL)
- Refer to the table of Urine Preservative Options when multiple tests are requested.
- Keep 24 hour urine specimen iced or refrigerated during collection.
- Include start and end dates and times for the collection period on the specimen container.
Urine Preservative Options
6N Hydrochloric Acid
Boric Acid (10g)
50% Acetic Acid
Physician Office/Drawsite Specimen Preparation
Maintain specimens refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F) prior to transport.
Preparation for Courier Transport
Transport: Entire 24 hour urine collection, timed urine, or the random urine, refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F).
- Specimens not collected and processed as indicated.
Specimen Stability for Testing:
Room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F): 4 hours
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): 4 days
Frozen (-20°C/-4°F or below): For longer storage.
Specimen Storage in Department Prior to Disposal:
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): 7 days (Royal Oak and Troy store an aliquot for 30 days.)
Farmington Hills Chemistry Laboratory.
Grosse Pointe Chemistry Laboratory.
Royal Oak Automated Chemistry Laboratory.
Troy Chemistry Laboratory.
Sunday - Saturday.
Routine results available within 24 hours.
Urine Creatinine: 800 - 2,000 mg/24 hours.
Normal ranges for random urines or for collections other than 24 hours have not been established.
- Urine creatinine may be increased due to exercise, infections, meat meals, diabetes mellitus, hypothyroidism, and acromegaly.
- It may be decreased in advanced renal disease, diseases with decreased muscle mass, muscular dystrophy, inflammatory or metabolic diseases of muscle, hyperthyroidism, anemia, leukemia, and vegetarian diets. This test is NOT useful in evaluating renal function except as part of a Creatinine Clearance test.
This assay aids in the diagnosis and management of renal diseases (when done as part of a Creatinine Clearance test), in monitoring renal dialysis, and as a calculation basis for measuring other urine analytes.
24 Hour Urine: EPIC: LAB5444, SOFT: CRU24, Random Urine: EPIC: LAB5035, SOFT: CREAU
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.
This directory currently reflects information only for specimens collected and/or processed at the Farmington Hills,
Grosse Pointe, Royal Oak, and Troy campuses.