Sentinel Lymph Node Touch Preparation and Evaluation - Cytology, Royal Oak
Sentinel lymph node, Axillary lymph node - touch prep, Sentinel breast biopsy - touch prep, Axillary biopsy - touch prep, Lymph node - touch prep, Cytology, non-gyn lymph node, Sentinel lymph node - scraping, CYTOLOGY, MEDICAL (NON-GYN/FNA), EPIC: LAB6797, SOFT: CYT
Cytology Laboratory staff should be notified that the sentinel node is being delivered at 248-898-9035 (extension 89035).
Specimen Collection Criteria
Collect: Submit unfixed sentinel lymph node specimens for intraoperative cytologic evaluation directly to the Cytology Laboratory in individual specimen containers.
- A maximum of 5 nodes will be evaluated under most circumstances.
- Current available published data indicates that patients undergoing sentinel lymph node mapping should have a maximum five sentinel lymph nodes evaluated. Each sentinel lymph node evaluation in an intraoperative setting requires an additional 15 minutes to process and interpret.
- The surgeon should prioritize which lymph nodes they wish evaluated otherwise the first five lymph nodes will be processed.
- If the surgeon wishes all nodes to be evaluated, they must call the cytopathologist directly (248-898-9035) and request that the additional sentinel lymph nodes also be processed.
- For patients undergoing immediate reconstruction with TRAM flap reconstruction, all sentinel lymph nodes will be evaluated.
- Each sentinel lymph node should be labeled with the patient's full name, date of birth, hospital number, date of test, specimen source (i.e. right breast) and numbered.
- In house cytology specimens should be ordered in EPIC order entry. In the “additional orders” field input “CYTOLOGY, MEDICAL (NON-GYN/FNA)” and fill in all appropriate fields. Submit specimen(s) with the Operative Progress Note which must include the patient name, medical record and visit number, date of birth, date of specimen collection, source of specimen, patient history and physician/surgeon’s name.
Physician Office/Drawsite Specimen Preparation
Arrange for transportation to the Cytology Laboratory prior to specimen collection. Maintain specimens at room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F) prior to transport.
Preparation for Courier Transport
Transport: Sentinel Lymph Nodes in individual specimen containers, at room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F).
- Improper labeling of specimen container or requisition.
- Specimen not accompanied by requisition.
- Requisitions not accompanied by a specimen.
- Improper collection of specimen (such as improper fixation).
- Any specimen received without all of the required information can result in a delay of processing until all information can be verified.
Specimen Stability for Testing:
Room Temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F): Specimens are tested immediately upon receipt in the Laboratory.
Refrigerated (2-8°C or 36-46°F): Unacceptable
Frozen (-20°C/-4°F or below): Unacceptable
Specimen Storage in Department Prior to Disposal:
Specimens are fixed in formalin and stored in the Histology Laboratory for four weeks at room temperature (20-26°C or 68-78.8°F).
Royal Oak Cytology Laboratory
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Results available within 24 hours of completion of the evaluation. The Cytology Laboratory is closed on weekends and holidays. Final results on specimens received after 3:00 p.m. on Friday will be issued on Monday.
Intraoperative reading of touch preparation of fresh tissue.
CPT: 88333, 88334.
EPIC: LAB6797, SOFT: CYT
Microtainer® and Vacutainer® are registered trademarks of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
UroVysion® is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories. ThinPrep® is a registered trademark of Hologic, Incorporated.
This directory currently reflects information only for specimens collected and/or processed at the Farmington Hills,
Grosse Pointe, Royal Oak, and Troy campuses.